Pastrmajlija, what is it? First of all, pastrmajlija is a Macedonian national dish and is made of yeast dough, meat and eggs.
But what does the word “Pastrmajlija” mean, which is almost impossible for non-Macedonians to pronounce (PasTrrrr-Maj-Li-Ja)? Pastrma” refers to salted meat.
My ancestors usually ate this dish in winter because it provides a lot of energy and in most households it was slaughtered at the beginning of winter. Fifty, sixty and more years ago, refrigerators were very rare and people were forced to preserve meat in one way or another. This included salting, i.e. preserving with salt. In this context, I would like to recommend two Macedonian dishes, Selsko Meso and Baked Meat with Eggs Macedonian Style.
Dough dishes are and were very popular in the Balkans, so what could be more natural than making a yeast dough and topping it with cured meat and eggs?
This dish is so popular in Macedonia that there is always a big folk festival, the Pastrmajlijada, in the town of Shtip in September.
As with every national dish, there are several variations of this dish that you can admire and, above all, try out at the Pastrmajlijada.
Today I would like to introduce you to my family’s recipe, as my mother learned it from her mother. But since I don’t have any salted meat at my disposal, I have salted it normally.
Information about the price of the dish
When preparing the dish, I use organic products as much as is currently possible.
Ingredients for the dough:
- 650 g wheat flour
- 400 ml water
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 P. Yeast
Ingredients for the topping:
- 1 kg roast pork
- 1.5 tbsp. salt
- 50-60 ml lard (alternatively you can use oil)
- 6 eggs (size M)
Preparation of meat:
- Cut the roast pork into slices about 1 cm thick and then into 1 cm cubes. Mix with the salt and leave to rest for a while.
Preparation of dough:
- Mix the wheat flour, salt, sugar and yeast in a bowl.
- Pour the lukewarm water with the oil into a mixing bowl and add the flour mixture.
- Then mix with a food processor or by hand to form a smooth dough. Cover the dough and leave to rise in a warm place for approx. 30 min.
- After the resting period, knead the dough again briefly and divide into 4 portions.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and place a portion of the dough on the tray. Two portions will fit on one tray.
- It is best to moisten your fingers with oil and press the dough apart with your fingers to form a roughly rectangular shape. Please make sure that there is an edge.
- Prick the bottom with a fork to make small holes.
- Then cover the dough with the meat cubes and brush with liquid lard, or alternatively oil.
- Place the tray in the oven preheated to 200 degrees (fan oven180) and bake for approx. 15 min.
- In the meantime, mix the eggs with a little salt and pour this onto the pastrmajlija after the first baking time has elapsed. The egg mixture will stick to the pastry through the edge. Bake again for about 5 minutes.
- Let cool a little and serve. Add a glass of red wine and life is perfect.
You serve the family an ancient dish with an addictive factor. Wonderfully soft yeast base with crispy edges and tasty meat covered in egg.
Bon appétit and have fun trying it out!
Do you like my recipe?
If this recipe, or any of the many others, appealed to you, or if you have any questions or helpful tips about the recipe, feel free to leave me a comment below and rate the recipe with stars 😊.
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings