Recently there has been a real hype about sausages in dough and in this context an old recipe from my homeland came to mind.
When I was a child, most families baked their own bread. Since the wood-fired oven, which was common in the villages, could not be fired up every day, baking was done once a week. Large amounts of dough were made and several breads and cakes were baked at once.
For the hard-working helpers, meaning we children, some small cakes or mini breads were usually baked. For us foodies, however, sausages baked in batter were an absolute hit.
As is usual with well-behaved mothers, we usually got our sausages. The mother was happy because she had well fed and quiet children and so were we because we got our way. Back then, mother didn’t make pizza dough, but wrapped the sausages in leftover dough and baked them.
Pizza Dough Sausage Rolls Macedonian Style
- 1 pack pizza dough
- 10 sausages
- 3-4 tbsp tomato sauce
- 50 g grated cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sesame
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- Roll out the pizza dough and cut into 10 strips.
- Spread the dough with the tomato sauce.
- Scatter the cheese over the tomato sauce.
- Place a sausage with one end slightly at an angle on a piece of dough and roll up.
- Then roll up sausage number 2, and so on until all 10 are wrapped.
- Place on a baking tray covered with baking paper.
- Brush the pastry rolls with the beaten egg yolk and sprinkle with sesame, chia seeds and caraway, if you like.
- Place in the oven preheated to 200°C (180°C for a fan oven) and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Let the baked sausages cool down a bit.
- Arrange and serve the very fragrant and delicious sausages.
Do you like my recipe?
If this recipe, or one of the many others, appealed to you, if you have any questions or helpful tips about the recipe, please leave me a comment below and rate the recipe with stars 😊.
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings